So, your exercise for this week is to figure out what and who you define yourself as (including the implied definitions) and then to mess with these as much as possible.
- If you define yourself as a Goth, you could spend the week dressed in bright colours and listening to hip-hop.
- If you define yourself as a Christian, you could try going to a service at a mosque or synagogue.
- If you define yourself as a punctual person, you could try to be late for everything this week.
- If you define yourself as a couch potato, you could go for a daily run.
- If you define yourself as the life of the party, you could try to sit inconspicuously and observe instead of partaking in the action.
- If you define yourself as shy, make an effort to say one thing to every stranger that you pass.
Try to stir up some of your little habits and routines that you have put in place – eat dinner at a different time, try something new, wear your hair in a different style, sleep in or wake early.
Do something so out of character that everyone says “hey, do you know what so-and-so did today – I would have expected it from x but not from them!” The more uncomfortable and unlike you it is, the better.
May you find who you are not, and discover that it wasn’t what you thought it would be!